RESONANT FORMS – III
PARTICIPATORY MOBILE BIOMETRICS : QI VISUALIZER (2014-present, a solo project)
Qi Visualizer is an interactive installation that translates ineffable dialogues (harmonic pulse spectrum) of the heart with the human body into a collective poetry via spectator participation using mobile biometrics.
RESONANT FORMS – II
EXPLORING DATA AESTHETICS VIA PHYSICAL DATA VISUALIZATION : HARMONIOUS (2012-present, a group project with Myles Sciotto)
Harmonious is an installation that physicalizes the frequency relation of harmonic pulse spectrum in architectural forms, commissioned by ZERO1 with support from the James Irvine Foundation and funded by UCSB Media Arts and Technology.
RESONANT FORMS – I
INTERACTIVE DATA SONIFICATION AND VISUALIZATION : BIORHYTHM (2010-2011, a group project with Ryan McGee and Reza Ali)
Biorhythm is an interactive installation that addresses frequency relation of harmonic pulse spectrum in real time audio-visual forms, with support from Biopac System Inc.
The harmonic spectrum of blood pressure pulse waveform.
Interview video of Harmonious from KCRW’s blog Design and Architecture (DnA)
- Type: installations
- Media: 32-channel sound system, BARCO projector, Biopac MP150, PPG sensor, acrylics, mobile phone
- Capacity: multiple participants
- Duration: varies
- Dimension: varies
- Collaborators: Ryan McGee, Reza Ali, Myles Sciotto
- 2015.04.10. "Q.V.", publication, "Leonardo Gallery: The First LAST Festival." Leonardo Volume 48, Number 2
- 2014.11.07. "Q.V.", publication, the conference proceeding of ACM Multimedia (ACM MM), Orlando, FL
- 2014.11.03. "Q.V.", selected installation, Interactive Arts Programme, ACM Multimedia (ACM MM), Orlando, Florida
- 2014.10.27. "Q.V.", publication, Leonardo Journal of Arts Science and Technology (Forthcoming in Spring 2015)
- 2014.09.18. "Q.V.", selected for student travel grant, ACM Multimedia (ACM MM), Orlando, Florida
- 2014.06.07. "Q.V.", selected installation, ZERO1 Garage, the 1st L.A.S.T. Expo and Symposium, San Jose, CA, USA
- 2014.05.08. "Q.V.", selected installation, Walt Disney Modular Theater, Digital Arts Expo, California Institute of the Arts
- 2013.06.07. "Harmonious", abstract acceptance, International Symposium on Electronic Art, Sydney, Australia
- 2012.09.20. "Form of Resonance", artist talk, International Symposium on Electronic Art, Albuquerque, NM, USA
- 2012.09.14. "Harmonious", commissioned installation at ZERO1 and interviewed by KCRW DnA, San Jose, CA, USA
- 2012.05.29. "Harmonious", installation & critique session, "Bits and Pieces", Santa Barbara, CA, USA
- 2011.06.01. "BioRhythm", selected installation, New Interface for Musical Expression, Oslo, Norway
- 2010.08.19. "BioRhythm", selected installation, Mindshare L.A., Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 2010.06.07. "BioRhythm", invited Presentation, Biopac System Inc., Santa Barbara, CA, USA
- 2010.05.26. "BioRhythm", installation & critique Session, "Something You Don't Know", Santa Barbara, CA, USA
- Acknowledgement: ACM Multimedia, ZERO1, James Irvine Foundation, Media Arts and Technology at UCSB, Alan Macy, Dan Ovverholt
- Project abstract: Resonant Forms series is an ongoing systemic exploration of data aesthetics and data-driven storytelling via new media. This series includes BioRhythm (Resonant Forms I, 2010-2011), Harmonious (Resonant Forms II, 2012-2013), and Qi Visualizer (Resonant Forms III, 2014-2015). Frequency spectrum of blood pressure waveform is the data used in this Resonant Forms series, for its profound historical context  and its elegant patterns of harmonic spectrum emerging from a complex organic system [1,3]. The data was captured and processed through synchronous and asynchronous techniques, and presented via data visualization, data sonification, physical data visualization, and interactive technique for spectator participation. A series of projects is documented in the following: BioRhythm (2010-2011, a group project with Ryan McGee and Reza Ali) is an interactive installation that explores dynamic visual forms and sound spatialization controlled by mapping spectral peaks from a user's Photoplethysmogram signal in real-time; Harmonious (2012-2013, a group project with Myles Sciotto, commissioned by ZERO1) is a fixed media installation that explores spatial dimensions of the same biometric signal by creating physical data objects (physical data visualization). Qi Visualizer (2014-2015, a solo project, awarded with the ACM Multimedia Student Travel Grant) is an interactive installation that invites an audience to participate by uploading the same biometric data via the custom mobile biometric app.
- The idea of pulse, as a tangible but subjective metric of blood circulation, has a long history in both China and Greece and people have tried to understand the pulse in terms of flow, wave, and most recently the resonance phenomenon of the cardiovascular system.
- Hemodynamics - the study of blood flow or the circulation
- Biomechanics: Motion, Flow, Stress, and Growth by Y.C. Fung
- Wang, Y. Y., S. L. Chang, Y. E. Wu, T. L. Hsu, and W. K. Wang. "Resonance. The missing phenomenon in hemodynamics." Circulation Research 69, no. 1 (1991): 246-249.
- Kuriyama, Shigehisa, The Expressiveness of the Body and the Divergence of Greek and Chinese Medicine, MIT Press, 2002.
- W.K. Wang, “Music movement which was mad”, regular script Chinese, the Bulk Culture, on September 07, 2002 published, ISBN: 9867975502 (王唯工 ,二零零二 ,氣的樂章,大塊文化)